One of my most memorable Disneyland experiences from 2013 was Dapper Day. If you didn’t read my post, I encourage you to check it out by clicking here.
We missed the fall 2013 Dapper Day, but this year’s event will not elude us! My family and I will be there decked out in our finest. Don’t know what Dapper Day is? Here is everything you need to know:
What is Dapper Day?
Dapper Day is simply a day to get dressed up and go to Disneyland. Most who attend in Dapper Day style, wear vintage inspired fashions, but really anything goes. The idea is to just get dressed up like folks did back in the 1950s.
Dapper Day is hosted by an outside organization and is not affiliated with Disney. The event is held twice per year–typically in the spring (February) and fall (September). This year’s spring Dapper Day at the Disneyland Resort will be held Sunday, February 23, 2014.
|Family with Dapper Day
attire inspired by Peter Pan.
Is it a regular day at the Disneyland Resort?
Dapper Day is a regular admission day and not a private party. That being said, if you attend that day, you can’t throw a churro without hitting someone dressed in their finest.
My favorite Dapper Day outfits are those that are themed to look like Disney characters but are still “normal” fashion.
Is Dapper Day a day for kids and families?
Yes! My kids LOVED getting dressed up and seeing other people dressed up! It was an incredible experience for all of us and this year we plan on
dragging bringing my husband!
A few tips for attending with kids:
- Keep ’em comfortable! Skip the dress shoes and make sure they can walk all day without complaining. Also, the weather in February can be a little unpredictable, so come with layers.
- I wore a dress, which was really fun, but went sensible on the shoes and wore flats. As much as I wanted to throw on heals, I resisted my inner diva and went for comfort. Watch the weather report just before and make sure it won’t be windy. Mommies can’t hold down their skirts and their kids’ hands at the same time!
- Bring a change of clothes in case they just can’t stand their fancy duds.
- Remember that even though it’s Dapper Day, it isn’t “stain-free day!” Disneyland can be messy, so don’t be disappointed if those pristine clothes come home dirty.
- You don’t have to spend a ton on the kids’ clothes! I bought my boys’ ties at a children’s resale store and utilized pants and shirts they already owned. For this year, I’ve picked up some stylish duds at Target!
How much are tickets for Dapper Day?
On Dapper Day, annual passholders (except So Cal Select) can use their passes for entry or guests may purchase regular admission tickets. Special discounted convention-rate park tickets for Dapper Day Weekend Spring 2014 are available by clicking here. These print-at-home tickets start at $55 and are valid for admission from February 16, 2014 to February 27, 2014.
Are there hotel discounts for Dapper Day?
Deeply discounted rooms are available for Dapper Day weekend. Disney’s Grand Californian® Hotel & Spa has rooms for $225/night, The Disneyland® Hotel Plus has great rates of $184/night, and $169/night at Disney’s Paradise Pier® Hotel. Rates are good any night from 02/19/14 – 02/26/14 and reservations can be made by calling 714-520-5005 (M-F 8a-5p) and request the “Dapper Day Group Rate” or book online here. (Information taken from the Dapper Day website.)
|This family happened to be visiting Disneyland on
Dapper Day in 2012. They thought it was so cool,
that they returned in 2013 in their Dapper Day finest.
Are there Dapper Day events at other Disney Parks and Reports?
Yes! There are Dapper Day events at Walt Disney World and Disneyland Paris each year. This year’s Walt Disney World Dapper Day event is March 9. Head over to the Dapper Day website for more information.
Looking for a place to get great Dapper Day fashion?
These are three stores that I whole-heartedly recommend for Dapper Day, vintage-inspired fashions for moms (and all gals for that matter).
- Unique Vintage: I adore Unique Vintage for their incredible selection of adorable dresses. My purple dress pictured above was from Unique Vintage, as was the red and while polka-dot dress I wore for Halloween. Unique Vintage has three So Cal locations (Burbank, Valencia and Huntington Beach) and a HUGE online store. www.unique-vintage.com
- Pin Up Girl Clothing: Great dresses and a pirate map-inspired dress that will knock your socks off! Pin Up Girl has a store in Burbank and great online store. www.pinupgirlclothing.com
- 8 Ball: I adore 8 Ball and buy vintage-inspired clothing for myself and the boys at their boutique in Burbank. They have a great online store and fabulous selection of gorgeous plus size dresses. I highly recommend checking them out. www.8ballwebstore.com.
If you live in So Cal and you are looking for a fun day out, you can hit up ALL of these stores plus some really incredible vintage stores, especially the Hollywood staple Playclothes (www.vintageplayclothes.com), all in one fun trip to Burbank’s historic Magnolia Park that is lined with vintage clothing stores, dress shops with vintage-inspired clothing, antique stores and restaurants. You can easily get something for everyone to wear while shopping on Magnolia! If you time it just right, you can also head over to Walt Disney’s Barn, located not too far away in Griffith Park! (Click here for more info on Walt’s Barn.)
For more information on Dapper Day, be sure to read my post from last year (by clicking here) and check out the official Dapper Day website (by clicking here). It is also a good idea to follow Dapper Day on Facebook and Twitter to find out about special photo ops and events surrounding Dapper Day. If you are thinking about going, be sure to leave a comment below and follow us on Facebook and Twitter. Maybe we can do a Babes In Disneyland meet-up! I will have more updates as we get closer to Dapper Day!