One of my very favorite Christmas cookies is a cookie with red and green M&M’s! My mom always made them – and I just thought they were somehow so much better than regular chocolate chip cookies. So now that I make them for my kids, I’ve decided to use my favorite cookie batter recipe… Disneyland’s of course! Here’s my holiday version of Disneyland’s Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe – they go perfectly with a cup of milk or hot cocoa!
|these cookies have the perfect texture|
Disneyland’s Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe (with M&M’s)
- 6 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tbsp water or milk
- 4 cups M&M’s (red / green)
|Do you see how full this bowl is?!|
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine flour, soda, and salt in bowl.
- In other large mixing bowl cream butter, shortening, vanilla, and sugar. Add eggs and water, beat until fluffy, about five minutes.
- Add dry ingredients and combine only until well blended, about three minutes.
- Add M&M’s and mix well.
- Drop by large spoonfuls.
- 6 scoops on a cookie tray, flatten and bake for 9-14 minutes until light golden brown.
My Baking Notes:
- Use a very large mixing bowl, trust me.
- Use smaller portions when you scoop and your cookie dough will stretch further, to between 80-100 cookies per bath! And you will be able to bake 8-11 cookies on a pan, instead of 6.
- I didn’t add the full amount of M&Ms, maybe just 2-3 cups, I kind of eyeballed just how many I wanted.
- Don’t let them get too dark in the oven – pull them out when they just start to get brown at the edges, to keep them chewy.
- Don’t bake them all at once, if you don’t need to. Scoop the remaining dough in balls and line them up on a baking sheet. Freeze, then transfer to a couple of gallon-sized baggies. You don’t even have to thaw them, just add about a minute extra to the baking time. This will provide you with fresh, soft, warm cookies anytime you want to pop a few in the oven!
Outcome & Opinion:
This is now the only recipe my family uses anytime we make chocolate chip cookies, M&M cookies, or any other type of cookie that needs this type of cookie base (you could add any variety of mix-ins!). They are perfectly crispy and yet chewy! Can you tell I love them?! I think the red and green M&M’s really make them the perfect Christmas cookie! **Plus, some pre-baked cookies or even a container of frozen cookie dough – ready for baking – would make an excellent hoilday gift!**
If you make this recipe, post a picture on our Facebook wall or tag us on Instagram – we would love to see!