|The left is me at age 2 in WDW, the middle is my husband and I
on our honeymoon at DLR, the right is my son at 4 months old.
During the summer months, it can be tough to escape the heat at the Disneyland Resort and particularly frustrating to know where to go to keep tots cool and content. During the crowds and heat of the summer, the key is to be able to cool off quickly, and these go-to spots will have your kids smiling and cooled off in no time!
|Family meal at the Hungry Bear–enjoying the shade and
- While inside Disneyland, guests can escape the heat at the Enchanted Tiki Room. Just outside the attraction at the Tiki Juice Bar, guests can purchase an icy-cool Dole Whip. The line for this popular treat can be long, but the queue in the Tiki Room’s waiting area is much shorter.
- After listening to birds and flowers croon, my favorite place to eat with little ones is the Hungry Bear restaurant in Critter Country. The downstairs, shaded patio is located next to a spacious restroom with two changing stations. The scenic view allows little ones to feed the ducks and watch the ships on the river while the adults relax.
- Over in Disney California Adventure Park, the best place to escape the heat is the Disney Animation Building located in the Hollywood Land. The activities in this building can keep your family cool for quite some time and include one of my favorite attractions for young children, Turtle Talk with Crush.
Mickey Mouse Clubhouse segment of the Disney Junior
Live on Stage show.
- Next to the Animation Building is Disney Junior—Live on Stage! featuring Jake and the Never Land Pirates and other Disney Junior favorites.
- And if your little ones still aren’t sufficiently cooled off, head over to “bug’s land” where they can splash around in Princess Dot Puddle Park.
Where’s your favorite place to cool off with the kiddos at the parks?
Disneyland is rolling out some truly fantastic new merchandise in and around the parks just in time for summer! Here is peek at what you can find in stores…
Alex and Ani Disney Collection Bangles – *Great new Disney souvenir alert* The Alex and Ani Disney Collection features the company’s signature expandable wire bangles (for the perfect fit) and charms that display more than eight different Disney icons and characters, birthstones, and initials.
Soarin’ Merchandise – Brand new Soarin’ merchandise just hit shelves at the Fly n’ By at Disney California Adventure – among Soarin’ themed items you you can pick up are a long and short sleeved T-shirt for kids or adults, a youth aviator jacket, youth fleece, leather luggage tag, mug, and pin.
Featured Treat: Sundae Surprise Caramel Apple – This banana-split inspired treat has the apple covered in caramel, then a chocolate infused with banana flavor, rolled in chocolate chips, drizzled with dark chocolate, topped with mini marshmallows and dollops of vanilla white chocolate, and of course chopped peanuts and a cherry on top!
June Merchandise Events –
- Artist in Residence – Noah at WonderGround Gallery in Downtown Disney. June 13-14, 20-21, 27-28 from 7-10 p.m.
- Tim Burton’s Nightmare Before Christmas in Disneyland Trading Event at the Exhibit Hall in the Disneyland Hotel. June 13-14.
- Artist Showcase with Pascal Campion, Jerrod Maruyama, and Whitney Pollet at WonderGround Gallery in Downtown Disney. June 21, 11-1 p.m.
- Artist Showcase with Nidhi Chanani at WonderGround Gallery in Downtown Disney. June 21-22, 1-4 p.m.
- Artist Showcase with Precious Moments at the China Closet in Disneyland Park. June 27-29, noon-10 p.m.
Yesterday’s 24-hour Rock Your Disney Side party kicked off Summer at the Disneyland Resort in what was one of the most awesome days I’ve experienced to date. Guests, many of whom were dressed as their favorite Disney heroes and villains, began lining up as early as 12:00 a.m. on Friday morning to be among the first to get the party started. I arrived a bit later (4:00 a.m.) to find the party was already in full swing. The Disneyland Resort Esplanade (the center area between Disneyland and Disney California Adventure) had a festival like atmosphere where DJs set kept the crowd entertained and awake with energetic music and games. Characters such as Goofy, Chip ‘n Dale, and Cruella de Vil were also on hand to help celebrate as well. Guests were also treated to an amazing Olaf sand sculpture and chalk art by artist Noah.
|The Line for Disneyland at 4:00 a.m.|
|The Line for Disney California Adventure at 4:00 a.m.|
|Olaf Sand Sculpture|
|Artist Noah and His Amazing Chalk Art|
At 6:00 a.m. Josh Gad, the voice of Olaf from Disney’s Frozen counted down to park opening accompanied by a fireworks display and the cheering of thousands of excited guests. This guest/ blogger was super excited to get to meet and take photos with Josh!
|Josh Gad Counting Down to Opening|
I spent much of the morning hanging out with my dear friend Heather. We had so much fun riding rides, people watching, and documenting the day- thanks so much for a fun time Heather!
The party also featured exclusive merchandise and some amazing treats. My favorite was the Maleficent caramel apple- so cool looking and tasty too.
By mid-morning I was ready for a nap and headed back to the hotel for a little catnap. By early afternoon I was up and raring to go. Both parks were quite busy but that didn’t stop me from going until I couldn’t go anymore- all in all I spent 18 hours kicking off the summer and showing off my Disney Side.
Were you at the Disneyland Resort for any/ all of the Rock Your Disney Side party? If so, we’d love to hear from you and see your photos. Visit the Babes In Disneyland Facebook page to share your Disney Side with us!
Be sure to follow Kendra on Twitter and on Instagram @kendrakuske for more updates and photos.
Is your family ready to rock their Disney Side for 24 hours? If you are… or your mulling the idea over… or just thinking about taking the kids for a few hours, here is everything you need to know!
What is the Rock Your Disney Side 24-hour event at the Disneyland Resort.
From 6 a.m. Friday, May 23, to 6 a.m. Saturday, May 24, 2014, guests can spend 24 hours at Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure Park.
What makes the Rock Your Disney Side event different than any other day at the Resort?
Besides being open 24 hours, there are a lot of very special things that will be taking place.
- Guests are encouraged to dress up for the occasion as their favorite character. Costumes must be child friendly and those dressed as Disney characters may not sign autographs as if they are Disneyland’s official characters. (And those who violate those guidelines could get kicked out of the parks!)
- At 6a.m. the Esplanade outside the entrances to Disneyland and Disney California Adventure parks will feature a larger than life sandsculpture of Olaf, the lovable snowman from Disney’s blockbuster animated film “Frozen, as well as fireworks and live entertainment as the parks open.
- Inside Disneyland, an “Avengers Super Hero Movie Marathon” will run throughout the day and overnight in the Magic Eye Theater in Tomorrowland. and there will be dance-till-dawn parties at the Tomorrowland Terrace Dance Club and the Sleeping Beauty Castle Forecourt Dance Club. In addition to 24 hours of atmosphere entertainment and appearances by Disney characters, the Disney Villains are planning an overnight “takeover” of the Royal Hall in Fantasy Faire. Other exciting entertainment offerings include:
- Mickey’s Soundsational Parade is scheduled at 6:30 p.m. and 12:30 a.m.
- Fantasmic! at 9 p.m. or 10:30 p.m.
- Magical Fireworks spectacular at 9:25 p.m.
- Royal Swing Ball presents a live band in the Royal Theatre at Fantasy Faire from 10 p.m. – 2 a.m. (This is very exciting! It’s a return of swing music to the old Carnation Plaza Gardens.)
- Disney California Adventure invites guests to kick off summer with an all-night “Mad T Party,” dancing in Pacific Wharf and Paradise Garden, and a special 3 a.m. performance of World of Color. Other notable entertainment includes:
- A special showeing of Disney’s Aladdin – A Musical Spectacular at 7:55 p.m.
- Muppets Theater will host sing-along screenings of “Frozen,” starting at 11:30 a.m.
Will there be special food offerings at the Rock Your Disney Side event?
The answer to that is: Of course!
- Perhaps most notable is the World of Color breakfasts offered at Wine Country Trattoria and Ariel’s Grotto. From 11:30 p.m. on May 23 to 1:30 a.m. on May 24, guests can enjoy breakfast at Wine Country Trattoria in Disney California Adventure and received reserved viewing for the 3a.m. World of Color. There are four breakfasts to choose from, starting at $9.99 for kids and $17.99 for adults. The breakfast package at Ariel’s Grotto takes place at the same time is taken from the restaurant’s normal menu. Do note that unlike normal Disneyland days, these restaurants will not be taking reservations and tables will be assigned on a walk-up basis.
- Virtually every restaurant in Disneyland and Disney California Adventure will be featuring special menu items ranging from chicken and waffles at the Plaza Inn to green chile corn chowder at the Pacific Wharf Café and a sweet and spicey hot dog on a jalapeno cheddar roll at the Hungry Bear. Keep your eyes pealed at every food location for something special. You won’t be disappointed.
What will parking be like?
Let’s face it: it’s going to be crowded because it’s going to be a really fun event! To help with the crush of cars. During the “Rock Your Disney Side” 24-hour event, Disney is offering incentives for guests to carpool with four passengers or more. The Disney Parks blog states that:
- All guests and Annual Passholders without pre-paid parking will receive a discounted parking rate of $8 (for a standard vehicle) when arriving with four or more passengers.
- Annual Passholders with pre-paid parking will receive one voucher per vehicle for one free popcorn scoop and one bottled beverage, redeemable at any Disneyland or Disney California Adventure park outdoor vending cart. At least one passenger in the vehicle must be a valid Annual Passholder with pre-paid parking privileges.
- All Annual Passholders and their passengers can also receive a special Toy Story commuter button. At least one passenger in the vehicle must be a valid Annual Passholder. And don’t be late – button quantity is limited and will be given while supplies last!
Can people line up for the event?
Guest can line up at midnight! Check out this video featuring one of my oldest and dearest friends, Al! (We go so far back that he DJ’ed my wedding 14 years ago!!!)
Will all of the attractions (rides) be open?
Each year, all attractions go down for refurbishment. During the Rock Your Disney Side event, Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage and Alice in Wonderland will be closed in Disneyland and Blue Sky Cellar and Grizzly River Run will be closed in Disney California Adventure Park.
What else do guests need to know?
Lockers are temporarily closed at Disneyland, so if you will need a locker, you will need to rent one outside the Main Entrance near Lost and Found or inside Disney California Adventure on Buena Vista Street. That being said, because the parks will likely be crowded and one whole locker facility will be closed, I would recommend getting your locker early.
I also recommend pacing yourself. Upon entering the parks, be sure to grab an entertainment schedule and I would then recommend sitting down with your family to decide what things you want to do in what order.
Will the Babes In Disneyland team be at the 24-hour event?
Kendra and I will be there in the morning! Kendra will be there for the opening at 6a.m. I will be shooting videos throughout the Resort in until 9:30 a.m. on Friday and will likely hang out for a while shooting video of the crowds and fun. If you see us, be sure to stop us and say “hello” so we can take a pic together and maybe even interview you for a piece on the blog!
From 6 a.m. Friday, May 23, to 6 a.m. Saturday, May 24, 2014*, on each coast, guests will spend 24 hours laughing, screaming, dancing and embracing their own Disney Side – that fun, playful side that emerges as they enter a Disney park.
Disney pirates, princesses, villains and a few rarely seen characters will stay in the parks all day and all night, inviting guests to dress up for the occasion, too. Guests may join the party dressed in costume, perhaps as their favorite Disney Hero or Villain. Costumes should be child-friendly and adhere to any guidelines determined by Disney.
The 24-hour celebration of summer also features special entertainment in all three parks.
– See more at: http://disneylandnews.com/2014/05/15/rock-your-disney-side-as-disney-parks-kicks-off-summer-vacation-season-with-24-hours-of-magic-on-both-coasts-may-23-24/#sthash.1B6KlYGK.dpuf