Is your family ready to rock their Disney Side for 24 hours? If you are… or your mulling the idea over… or just thinking about taking the kids for a few hours, here is everything you need to know!
What is the Rock Your Disney Side 24-hour event at the Disneyland Resort.
From 6 a.m. Friday, May 23, to 6 a.m. Saturday, May 24, 2014, guests can spend 24 hours at Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure Park.
What makes the Rock Your Disney Side event different than any other day at the Resort?
Besides being open 24 hours, there are a lot of very special things that will be taking place.
- Guests are encouraged to dress up for the occasion as their favorite character. Costumes must be child friendly and those dressed as Disney characters may not sign autographs as if they are Disneyland’s official characters. (And those who violate those guidelines could get kicked out of the parks!)
- At 6a.m. the Esplanade outside the entrances to Disneyland and Disney California Adventure parks will feature a larger than life sandsculpture of Olaf, the lovable snowman from Disney’s blockbuster animated film “Frozen, as well as fireworks and live entertainment as the parks open.
- Inside Disneyland, an “Avengers Super Hero Movie Marathon” will run throughout the day and overnight in the Magic Eye Theater in Tomorrowland. and there will be dance-till-dawn parties at the Tomorrowland Terrace Dance Club and the Sleeping Beauty Castle Forecourt Dance Club. In addition to 24 hours of atmosphere entertainment and appearances by Disney characters, the Disney Villains are planning an overnight “takeover” of the Royal Hall in Fantasy Faire. Other exciting entertainment offerings include:
- Mickey’s Soundsational Parade is scheduled at 6:30 p.m. and 12:30 a.m.
- Fantasmic! at 9 p.m. or 10:30 p.m.
- Magical Fireworks spectacular at 9:25 p.m.
- Royal Swing Ball presents a live band in the Royal Theatre at Fantasy Faire from 10 p.m. – 2 a.m. (This is very exciting! It’s a return of swing music to the old Carnation Plaza Gardens.)
- Disney California Adventure invites guests to kick off summer with an all-night “Mad T Party,” dancing in Pacific Wharf and Paradise Garden, and a special 3 a.m. performance of World of Color. Other notable entertainment includes:
- A special showeing of Disney’s Aladdin – A Musical Spectacular at 7:55 p.m.
- Muppets Theater will host sing-along screenings of “Frozen,” starting at 11:30 a.m.
Will there be special food offerings at the Rock Your Disney Side event?
The answer to that is: Of course!
- Perhaps most notable is the World of Color breakfasts offered at Wine Country Trattoria and Ariel’s Grotto. From 11:30 p.m. on May 23 to 1:30 a.m. on May 24, guests can enjoy breakfast at Wine Country Trattoria in Disney California Adventure and received reserved viewing for the 3a.m. World of Color. There are four breakfasts to choose from, starting at $9.99 for kids and $17.99 for adults. The breakfast package at Ariel’s Grotto takes place at the same time is taken from the restaurant’s normal menu. Do note that unlike normal Disneyland days, these restaurants will not be taking reservations and tables will be assigned on a walk-up basis.
- Virtually every restaurant in Disneyland and Disney California Adventure will be featuring special menu items ranging from chicken and waffles at the Plaza Inn to green chile corn chowder at the Pacific Wharf Café and a sweet and spicey hot dog on a jalapeno cheddar roll at the Hungry Bear. Keep your eyes pealed at every food location for something special. You won’t be disappointed.
What will parking be like?
Let’s face it: it’s going to be crowded because it’s going to be a really fun event! To help with the crush of cars. During the “Rock Your Disney Side” 24-hour event, Disney is offering incentives for guests to carpool with four passengers or more. The Disney Parks blog states that:
- All guests and Annual Passholders without pre-paid parking will receive a discounted parking rate of $8 (for a standard vehicle) when arriving with four or more passengers.
- Annual Passholders with pre-paid parking will receive one voucher per vehicle for one free popcorn scoop and one bottled beverage, redeemable at any Disneyland or Disney California Adventure park outdoor vending cart. At least one passenger in the vehicle must be a valid Annual Passholder with pre-paid parking privileges.
- All Annual Passholders and their passengers can also receive a special Toy Story commuter button. At least one passenger in the vehicle must be a valid Annual Passholder. And don’t be late – button quantity is limited and will be given while supplies last!
Can people line up for the event?
Guest can line up at midnight! Check out this video featuring one of my oldest and dearest friends, Al! (We go so far back that he DJ’ed my wedding 14 years ago!!!)
Will all of the attractions (rides) be open?
Each year, all attractions go down for refurbishment. During the Rock Your Disney Side event, Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage and Alice in Wonderland will be closed in Disneyland and Blue Sky Cellar and Grizzly River Run will be closed in Disney California Adventure Park.
What else do guests need to know?
Lockers are temporarily closed at Disneyland, so if you will need a locker, you will need to rent one outside the Main Entrance near Lost and Found or inside Disney California Adventure on Buena Vista Street. That being said, because the parks will likely be crowded and one whole locker facility will be closed, I would recommend getting your locker early.
I also recommend pacing yourself. Upon entering the parks, be sure to grab an entertainment schedule and I would then recommend sitting down with your family to decide what things you want to do in what order.
Will the Babes In Disneyland team be at the 24-hour event?
Kendra and I will be there in the morning! Kendra will be there for the opening at 6a.m. I will be shooting videos throughout the Resort in until 9:30 a.m. on Friday and will likely hang out for a while shooting video of the crowds and fun. If you see us, be sure to stop us and say “hello” so we can take a pic together and maybe even interview you for a piece on the blog!
From 6 a.m. Friday, May 23, to 6 a.m. Saturday, May 24, 2014*, on each coast, guests will spend 24 hours laughing, screaming, dancing and embracing their own Disney Side – that fun, playful side that emerges as they enter a Disney park.
Disney pirates, princesses, villains and a few rarely seen characters will stay in the parks all day and all night, inviting guests to dress up for the occasion, too. Guests may join the party dressed in costume, perhaps as their favorite Disney Hero or Villain. Costumes should be child-friendly and adhere to any guidelines determined by Disney.
The 24-hour celebration of summer also features special entertainment in all three parks.
– See more at: http://disneylandnews.com/2014/05/15/rock-your-disney-side-as-disney-parks-kicks-off-summer-vacation-season-with-24-hours-of-magic-on-both-coasts-may-23-24/#sthash.1B6KlYGK.dpuf