One of the highlights of any celebration at the Disneyland Resort is always the foods. For me, I’m partial to the desserts. The Three Kings Day celebration at the Disneyland Resort offers many incredible latin inspired food offerings, one of which is the bunuelos. On the first day of The Three Kings Day, I was given the opportunity to join Chef Toby as he taught me how to make this sweet treat. Even better, he shared the recipe so that you can make Bunuelos Navidenos at home.
Bunuelos Navidenos is a fairly easy to make dessert that can be made with aspiring home cooks of all ages (with supervision, of course).
Bunuelos Navidenos Recipe
- Vegetable, canola, or corn oil for frying
- 6 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- Pinch ground cloves
Watch this great video with the Disneyland Resort’s Chef Toby and read the complete details for the recipe below!
- Fill a heavy-bottomed deep saute pan with enough oil to reach 1 inch up sides. Heat oil over medium-high heat 350°F. If you don’t have a deep-frythermometer, usa a piece of tortilla to test oil, tortilla should lightly brown after about 1 ½ to 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, line 2 baking sheets with paper towels; set aside. Combine sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves in a large, shallow dish; set aside.
- Pierce each tortilla several times with the tines of a fork. This will help prevent large buggles from forming on the tortillas while frying.
- Using tongs, slowly lower 1 tortilla into hot oil. Fry 30 seconds to 1 minute, until light golden brown. Gently flip tortilla over and fry on second side 30 second to 1 minute, until lightly golden brown.
- Using tongs, lift fried tortilla from oil and hold vertically over pan to allow excess oil to drain. Transfer tortilla to baking sheet lined with paper towels; drain 1 minute, then dip into sugar-cinnamon mixture until well coated, shaking off excess.
- Place finished bunuelo on second baking sheet and repeat process with remaining tortillas. Serve immediately.
- Use cookie cutters to make fun shapes with the tortillas before cooking. At Disneyland, you can purchase Disney themed cutters at the Candy Palace and Emporium. In Disney California Adventure cookie cutters can be found at Trolley Treats. Outside of the parks World of Disney in Downtown Disney District sells Disney themed cookie cutters.
- Be creative with the toppings! There are many different things you can use as an addition to the sugar-cinnamon mixture. Try berries, caramel sauce, cinnamon sauce, fruit compote, maple syrup, fresh whipped cream, dulce de leche, or even apple pie filling!
Three Kings Day offers yet another fun opportunity to go to the Disneyland Resort for another magical and cultural experience. Thanks to Disneyland and Chef Toby, you can now bring part of that experience home with you and create some magic in your own kitchen! I, for one, hope you do just that and then leave a comment below and let us know how it went!