Ever wish you could have Disneyland churros at home? Guess what? You can!!! I didn’t believe it myself when I heard you could make them at home yourself, but thought I would give it a try. Now, while I have heard that harboring the secret for making Disneyland-caliber churros at home could give me the power to take over the world (because seriously, they are just that good), I thought I would share the labor-intensive instructions with all of you.
(Update: After reading this post a Babes In Disneyland reader with a keen eye spied a Cast Member opening the packaging to make more churros and lo and behold this is the VERY SAME BRAND they sell in the parks! Why reinvent the wheel when you can open the box and chow down within minutes?)
Here’s how to make Disneyland churros at home:
1. Get in your car and drive to the closest Smart and Final store.
2. Park your car in the Smart and Final parking lot.
3. Go inside the store to the freezer section and find the Tio Pepe’s box of churros. It could be at the very bottom of the case so look carefully. If you don’t see it, ask for help! (And bring this post up on your phone because a picture is worth a thousand words. You can just point to it and say, “I need this NOW!”) The churros run about $2.99 for six and $10.49 for 25. Yes, 25 churros could be yours for the price of two and a half churros at Disneyland.
4. Pay for the GIANT box of churros.
5. Take the box home and cook as instructed. I recommend having a medium-sized Pyrex or other dish with sides so that you can coat your churros with the included sugar and cinnamon when you are finished.
6. Cut small pieces of wax paper to wrap around them so you feel like you are at Disneyland.
Remember those Rice Krispies Treats commercials in which the mom acts like she has been slaving away in the kitchen for hours and throws a little flour on her face before serving the treats to her family? You should definitely do that. Everyone will absolutely think you are a rock star because you are serving them AMAZING churros at home.
So… that’s it! I’m not kidding when I tell you they are yummy and delicious. My kids seriously lost their minds and begged for more. It is truly the perfect treat to get you through those weeks and months when you can’t visit the Disneyland Resort. Who doesn’t need a little magic at home from time to time.
(If you do not have a Smart and Final near you, you can find out where to buy these churros near you by clicking here.)