For the sweetest combination of family fun, yummy food, thrill rides, and cute characters head on over to Knott’s Berry Farm!! Now through April 3rd Knott’s is celebrating the arrival of spring with its annual Boysenberry Festival. This time of the year Knott’s truly comes alive with beautiful boysenberry themed decor, one-of-a-kind food tastings, beer and wine tastings, and live entertainment.
Last weekend my daughter Emma and I traveled to Knott’s Berry Farm for the first time. Having never been to Knott’s before, we weren’t sure what to expect, but were pleasantly surprised by all that the park had to offer and had an amazing time together. We loved the relaxed atmosphere, beautiful floral displays, entertainment, Camp Snoopy, and of course, the Boysenberry Festival.
If you’ve never been to Knott’s Berry Farm or the Boysenberry Festival here’s what you can expect this year:
The 16-day Boysenberry Festival takes place in the heart of Knott’s Berry Farm’s Ghost Town and features over 70 drinks, treats, and more. Boysenberries are a cross between raspberries, blackberries, and loganberries. Boysenberries are larger, dark purple berries that are oh so sweet and yummy.
Food & Drinks
Must try treats are the Boysenberry Fun Bun and new to the festival this year the Fun Stick. Just what are these delectable treats you ask? A Fun Bun is a cinnamon roll that is dipped in funnel cake batter, deep-fried, and topped with boysenberry cream cheese.
A Fun Stick is a slice of cheesecake that is dipped in funnel cake batter, deep-fried, and topped with boysenberry cream.
If you happen to be visiting on a particularly warm day be sure to check out my personal favorite- the Boysenberry Icee.
If you are looking for savory food options look no further than the deep-fried alligator bites paired with zesty boysenberry aioli, BBQ boysenberry chicken wings, boysenberry BBQ meatballs and the boysenberry BBQ short ribs.
The Wine and Craft Brew Garden offers 4 craft brews and over 50 different wines from 36 producers including boysenberry beer and boysenberry wine.
There are a whole host of entertainment offerings taking place at the Boysenberry Festival. Some of these offerings are: the Peanuts Party in the Park, Krazy Kirk and the Hillbillies, Lucy’s Really BIG Spring Show, and Jammin’ in the Dark.
- The Peanuts Party in the Park allows guests to celebrate springtime with the Peanuts gang. Located in the Boardwalk Area this interactive show will delight children and adults of all ages.
- The world-famous bluegrass country music group, Krazy Kirk and the Hillbillies (formerly known as Billy Hill and the Hillbillies at the Disneyland Resort), will perform their musical comedy show in the Bird Cage Theatre located in Ghost Town.
- Jammin’ in the Dark transforms the Calico Square Stage into an immersive dance party complete with illuminated boysenberries, vines and LED lighting effects; DJ HowLy will spin the hottest dance music for all ages.
Honorable mention goes to Camp Snoopy- Emma and I absolutely loved it! Seeing our favorite Peanuts characters in person and riding “their” rides was such a treat. The rides in Camp Snoopy were perfect for younger children and so well themed. We loved the Balloon Race ride and also Linus Launcher. One of the highlights of the day was meeting our favorite Easter Beagle and several of his friends too!
As a first timer I have a few tips that I hope will help your trip be a sweet success:
- Arrive early. The Boysenberry Festival is wildly popular and draws large crowds. Arriving early helps to reduce ride and food wait times and also gives you more time to experience all of the fun.
- Don’t be afraid to try new things. Anyone who knows me will tell you that I am the pickiest person they’ve ever met. That being said even I got into the spirit of the festival and tried my first every Boysenberry Icee, a huge step for me, really. 🙂
- Take tons of photos. The amazing floral backdrops, character meet-and-greets, and audience participation opportunities all make for great photo opportunities so be sure to capture every moment.
- Stay on-property. Did you know that Knott’s Berry Farm has its own hotel?? Emma and I loved our stay at the Knott’s hotel! Located just down the road from the main entrance the Knott’s hotel features spacious accommodations, a yummy restaurant, and the cutest Camp Snoopy wing.
I was provided with complimentary tickets and hotel stay for the purpose of reviewing the Knott’s Berry Farm and the Boysenberry Festival. All opinions are truthful and my own.