In 2018, Disney California Adventure Park will welcome the biggest Lunar New Year celebration yet – running for a whopping 24 days – and celebrating the Year of the Dog (my year)! The festivities include multicultural performances, fun-filled activities, vibrant and festive decor, international cuisine and themed merchandise to ring in the new year. Lunar New Year is traditionally celebrated by Chinese, Korean, and Vietnamese cultures, which are represented throughout the Park. As a Vietnamese-American, it is fun to see how the Lunar New Year gets the Disney magic treatment when I visit.
Highlights of the festivities, which will begin January 26 and run all the way through February 18, 2018, include:
- Gods of Good Fortune Goofy and Pluto will be on hand to greet guests at The Disneyland Resort Lunar New Year celebration, along with Mickey, Minnie, Mulan, and Mushu, who will all be decked out in their finest Lunar New Year attire.
- “Hurry Home – Lunar New Year Celebration” – a nighttime water show that happens prior to “World of Color”
- “Mulan’s Lunar New Year Procession” – a celebration hosted by Mulan and Mushu that commemorates the Lunar New Year and celebrates friendship and family.
- Three Asian Marketplaces offering cuisine inspired by Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese cultures, as well as a special Lunar New Year menu offered at Paradise Garden Grill
- A Lucky Wishing Wall, where guests may add their own wishes for a wonderful future
- Live, daily performances with authentic musicians, and an area for guests to try their hand at arts and crafts with local artisans (see a video from last year below!)
- New Lunar New Year merchandise inspired by different cultures of East Asia, including special items all the way from Shanghai Disney Resort, such traditional red envelopes for gift-giving, Mickey Mouse plush, Minnie Mouse snow globes and a limited-edition pin
Are you looking forward to celebrating the Lunar New Year at Disney California Adventure Park?